What is an alfresco area in your garden, and how much does it cost to create one? An alfresco space is a type of outdoor location where you can dine, relax, or simply enjoy the scenery. It’s not quite a patio, but an alfresco space may be converted into a patio.
What is an Alfresco Area
“Alfresco” is derived from the Italian term, “in the cool (air). “Alfresco” refers to an outdoor living area. An alfresco space is more of an outdoor extension of your house and is generally connected to it in such a way that you can open up the home and make the space literally part of your house.
Another distinction between a standard patio and an alfresco area is that an alfresco environment may be used at any time of day or night, and in all types of weather. As a result, outdoor areas with roofs, ceilings, and lighting are frequently added to their price.
As a result, many new houses have alfresco areas as part of the overall design. You may also install an outdoor area in an existing property. The expense of an outside space does not need to be extravagant, but it may require decent flooring, a roof, and perhaps a wall or privacy screen.
Outdoor Living Space Types
While there is no formal definition for an alfresco area, it is more than a patio. You may transform it into anything you want. The following are some examples of popular choices:
- Outdoor room
- Outdoor kitchen
- Using awnings
What is an Alfresco Australia
You may more readily incorporate outside spaces and other desirables into your property than ever before, thanks to advances in technology. There is a slew of options for alfresco areas, with customers able to pick the form of their alfresco, the ceiling type, and other aspects such as lighting and add-ons. If you want to enjoy all that Australia can potentoffer in terms of outdoor living, you need to include an alfresco area in your home.
Designing an Alfresco Space
When you design your alfresco area, keep the following in mind:
The climate. If you live in a hot or humid climate, you’ll need to include features that may make the space more comfortable. For example, a gazebo with a fan or misters can help cool things down.
Your lifestyle. What do you like to do outdoors? Do you want an outdoor kitchen where you can cook while enjoying the view, or would a simple seating area be more appropriate?
The size of your yard. If you have a large yard, you may have more room for an extensive outdoor space. If you have a small yard, you’ll need to be more creative in how you use the space.
Alfresco areas are becoming increasingly popular in Australian homes, as they offer a great way to enjoy the outdoors all year round. By taking into account your climate and lifestyle, you can create the perfect alfresco area for your needs.
Outdoor Space Design Ideas
There are many different ways to design an outdoor space. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Outdoor Alfresco Room
A patio may be converted into an addition to your property. It might be a lounge area, a dining room, or even a space for resting. It may usually be furnished and as pleasant as an inside dining room or living room.
Outdoor Alfresco Kitchen
The outdoor kitchen and dining room are two examples of popular alfresco settings. The outdoor kitchen may be linked to the indoor kitchen or used as a separate location for barbecuing or even a pizza oven. It’s more important to be able to utilize it in all kinds of weather and not have to cover it when it rains. Outdoor kitchens generally feature one or more walls that open up towards the outdoors. Cooking and sitting areas can be included in the same space.
Gazebo Outdoor Spaces
It doesn’t have to be connected to your house, either. It can be a huge gazebo in your yard or beside the pool as long as it’s a pleasant place. You can use it as an outdoor office, a playroom, or even a party area. It should be large enough to do something in and have some comfortable chairs or benches around it.
Modern awnings that cover a large surface may be utilized to make an integrated outside area and patio. Alternatively, you may create walls and a ceiling, then use vertical awnings to enclose the space as needed.
Take a looser definition of an outside location, and you’ll be able to create one in just about any setting. Awnings can be put over an area to make it into an outdoor space, like a porch. You can choose from manual or motorized retractable awnings to protect yourself from the sun or rain. This type of arrangement is perfect for people who want to spend time outdoors but don’t want to get wet or have too much sun. You can even add lighting under the awning for evening use.
Alfresco Lifestyle Living Spaces Cost
The cost of alfresco spaces could range from inexpensive to very costly. The cost may be determined by the size of your area and what you want to include. For example,
- The cost of an outside room varies from $10,000 to $50,000, depending on the materials used for the flooring, walls or privacy screens, bi-fold or sliding doors, lighting and any plumbing required.
- When you take into account the cost of plumbing and electricity, an outdoor kitchen might range from $7,000 to $50,000.
- Gazebos come in a variety of materials and styles, ranging from as low as $500 for a basic kit to over $20,000 for an 8-meter gazebo.
- The cost of paving an outdoor patio with awnings may be as low as $2000. A roof and ceiling are more expensive than an awning or patio cover.
Additional Outdoor Room Costs
There are several expenses to consider while calculating the cost of an alfresco living area. The following are some of the most important ones:
- Paving or decking
- Walls or screens
- Windows and doors
Paving Alfresco Spaces
Cement slabs, pavers, or tiles can all be used to create a barbecue patio. The following are some of the expenses involved with paving alone:
- For 500x500x30mm pavers, expect to pay from $50–$55 per square metre.
- Paving stones are more expensive, costing from $10 to $15 per square metre for sealing.
- For labour, the price may be as low as $20 per square metre or more.
- For a crushed rock base, expect to pay between $30 and $36 per square metre or between $46 and $56 per square metre for a poured concrete base.
Outdoor Area Decking
Another alternative is to build a deck. A slightly higher deck can give your outside area the feel of a house extension rather than just a patio space. Decking may cost anywhere from $200 to $1000 per square meter based on the type of wood used, with cedar being the most expensive and treated pine being the least expensive.
- It costs roughly $200 per square metre to maintain treated pine decking.
- Per square metre, wood decking is more expensive, hardwood timber decking is priced at $320.
- For composite decking, the cost is $350 per square metre.
- Per square metre, the average rate for elevated cyclone rated decking is about $1000.
Roofing adds value to your home and protects furnishings from the elements while also allowing you to dine or relax outside in the shade. Polycarbonate roofs, as well as Colorbond, are popular choices. Roofing costs may range from about:
- Standard polycarbonate roofing tiles may set you back $38 for 2.4 meters, or about the length of three basketball hoops.
- $69 for three meters of insulated polycarbonate roofing
- For normal Colorbond roofing, expect to pay $18 per square metre.
- The average cost of a Colorbond roof over the water is between $21.50 and $26.00 per square metre, depending on the coating.
- For Colorbond that’s powder-coated on both sides, expect to pay roughly $24 per square metre.
- Colorbond Ultra roofing costs $36.50 per square metre for corrosion-resistant Colorbond Ultra roofing
If you can’t provide a roof or other cover for an alfresco area, an umbrella over the dining table or sofas may offer sun and rain protection for less. You may not be able to dine outside when it’s raining, but your patio may be nice during the sunny hours. If you can’t completely seal off the area, invest in outdoor furniture that may be cleaned after it rains.
Alfresco Living Walls or Screens
In many areas, an alfresco room may also include a wall, privacy screens or louvres that can be opened in nice weather and shut when it’s windy or rainy.
- Per metre, privacy screens cost $80 to $90.
- It might cost around $250 per meter to construct a wall.
Windows and Doors for Outdoor Entertaining Areas
Large sliding or bifold doors may be installed to make the outside space a part of your house. These allow you to see the area when the doors are shut and to open it up to the inside when the weather is nice, allowing fresh air to flow in and out of the home.
- The cost of timber bifold doors can range from $1000 to $2000 per panel.
- Sliding doors may cost anything from $350 to $5,000.
Lighting the Alfresco Space
Lighting is essential for safety and security, as well as using your outside area after dark. The cost of outdoor lighting ranges from $32 to $160 per light, with a professional charge between $80 and $120 per hour. There are a variety of ways to light your alfresco area, some more expensive than others.
One option is to install low-voltage LED lights around the edge of the paving or decking. These can be set on a timer so that they come on automatically at dusk and turn off at dawn. For a more permanent solution, you could have a light installed on the roof or eave of the structure. This type of lighting may give a softer look and is perfect for an alfresco dining area.