What is a Vinyl Fence?
Are you looking to upgrade your property fencing from traditional wood to a more sophisticated fence? Vinyl fencing requires minimal maintenance besides giving your home a stylish appearance. It is economical in the long run and durable.
Quality vinyl fence panels are popular in Australian homes and commercial premises. It is because they consist of durable polyvinyl chloride (PVC). It takes well to extreme weather conditions including, heavy rainfall compared to wood fencing.
Vinyl fences contain PVC material that is available in varying colours and styles. Though fencing is bound to get dirty, most people prefer white as it complements most styles. It is a good thing Vinyl fences are easy to clean without the need for repainting.
What is a vinyl fence used for?
Vinyl fence products have a variety of uses which are as follows:
- Fence Posts and Railing
Rail and posts are ideal for surrounding either large property domains, plantations, or ranches. It is also known as a ranch fence panel. Vinyl posts are used with 2 to 4 rails to encompass big animals or pets.
- Picket Fence
The Picket fences are well suited for defining boundaries while giving your homestead an aesthetic touch. It contains different width pickets together with railings and posts. Because of its flashy appearance, it is popular with homeowners and landscapers.
- Semi-private Fencing
The semi-private vinyl fencing offers a certain degree of privacy yet providing a viewing gap from a neighbor or by-passers. They are usually shadowbox made, providing a similar look for both sides.
- Privacy fencing
The privacy fences are very popular with Australians because they are low-cost to maintain. It provides total privacy of your property from the outside world besides coming with a wide variety of polishes and colors.
What is the difference between Vinyl Fencing and PVC Fencing
PVC is the most prevalent type of vinyl construction material. Because of this, many people tend to think that vinyl is polyvinyl chloride. However, there other types of vinyl materials besides PVC and include polyvinyl acetate.
The many similarities between PVC fences and wood fences make it a better alternative to conventional fencing choices. The reason for this is the fact that vinyl PVC Fencing is low maintenance and long-lasting. The vinyl material does not require toxic ingredients, thus safe for people, the environment, and animals.
PVC is the only vinyl material used for fencing, making people refer to it as vinyl fencing.
How much does Vinyl Fencing cost?
Overall, vinyl fences are expensive than other alternatives when first installing. However, unlike wood fences, they require less maintenance and are long-lasting making them less costly in the long run.
The price varies depending on the type and use of the vinyl panel. One meter picket fencing will go for up to $65 on average. Semi-private and privacy vinyl fences range from 80 to 90 dollars per meter.
For the ranch fence, the prices variation depends on several rails as follows:
- Four rails- $55/meter
- Three rails- $48/meter
- Two Rails- $40/meter.
Different supplies will charge varying prices. The cost of a vinyl fence depends on the mode of purchase and available after-sales services such as discounts. You will save money for installation if you do it yourself. However, hiring a handyman to set it up can cost you up to $100 per linear metre.
How long does it take to install vinyl fencing?
Vinyl fence installation is somewhat easy. You hardly use any tools but snap fence pieces together using hands. The length of time for installing depends on the size and type of the vinyl PVC fence. The whole process of vinyl fences setting up can take up to a week.
What is vinyl fencing made of?
The quality vinyl fence is usually made from long-lasting plastic material explicitly, PVC or Polyvinyl chloride. The material provides a lot of benefits. One is that it is strong enough to withstand extreme sun radiation and wet weather conditions. It is also highly durable compared to other fencing solutions and easy to maintain.
One method for vinyl fence manufacturing is through injecting UV inhibitors into vinyl material. The process is known as mono-extrusion. Alternatively, a PVC fence may consist of double layers in a method known as co-extrusion. The inner layer usually consists of impact modifiers and the outer on the UV management.
Why is vinyl fencing popular?
Vinyl is well known by many due to its strength benefits that prevent damage even when exposed to greater external force like wind. It easily bends to avoid breaking. The surfaces don’t readily stain or scratch to require attention.
Also, it does not require sharp clasping. It makes it safe for young kids and animals.
Finally, it comes with flashy appearances and a range of colours that complement any property well be it residential or commercial. Besides, it is one of the fencing materials alongside wood that help increase home ROI when selling.
Maintenance is cheap- the colour does not easily peel or fade, and repainting is rarely needed. Besides, it won’t readily break, saving you the repair expenses. It can also complement the vinyl flooring within the home or patio pretty well. Here are multiple benefits of vinyl fencing:
- Bears similarity to wooden fences- Traditionally, wood fences were the most classical. Vinyl fences are a more elegant substitute with less toxic ingredients and easy to maintain.
- Durable. A vinyl fence has a prolonged lifespan thanks to its strength to stand external factors like heat, wind, and water.
- Cleanable. Any fence is prone to dirt. Even the brightest colour vinyl is easy to clean without staining or peeling the finishing.
- Variety of decorations. The fences come in all sorts of colours and decors to give you a pull of options. Everyone needs an outline of their property that has an attractive appearance.
- Easy to install. You can do it yourself because most parts will typically slip and bolt. It is also lightweight and easy to lift. Still, if you hire someone to install for you, the installation costs will be lower than most fencing.
- It is Synthetic- Vinyl/PVC Fences are plastic, thus non-biodegradable and nature friendly. It is not ideal for environment enthusiasts who would prefer wood or live plant fencing.
- It is not immune to being damaged by dangerous weather conditions like high scorching sunlight, storm, or prolonged rainfall.
- Expansion and contraction- Under high fluctuating temperatures, Vinyl will contract and expand exceedingly. The impact will make it very frail as time goes. It makes it unsuited for regions with extreme temperatures.
- Breakage is fatal- It is difficult to restore when breakage occurs since they are not fixed into place with nailing or other external fastenings. In the event of the fence breaking, the homeowner faces the challenge of replacing the entire structure.
As we have seen, like any other Fencing option, vinyl has got its pros and cons. When deciding on what Fencing material to use for your property compare several while evaluating their advantage and disadvantages especially, affordability. Whether you choose wood, PVC, live plant fence, or chain link, it should serve your desired purpose.