Vinyl flooring can turn your house or apartment into your personal sanctuary, but it can be difficult. There are so many different colours, materials, and furniture options to choose from that it can be really difficult to set your mind to only one. For those who are currently looking to renovate or just improve their home, there is an option that is becoming increasingly popular, and that is vinyl flooring!
Vinyl is a very popular material that is mostly used for flooring. It is basically a combination of synthetic materials like fibreglass, PVC vinyl, and plasticizers. There are several reasons why it is so popular nowadays. The material is moisture resistant, low maintenance, it lasts a long time and it is not even that expensive. To add to that, it is a perfect choice for flooring because it feels very comfortable under feet.
When it comes to the different types of vinyl flooring, we can mention two main types. The first type is the sheet vinyl flooring which features a very quick and easy installation process. On the other hand, there is panel vinyl flooring which is more suitable for busier or more moist rooms. Panel vinyl flooring is also more suitable if you are looking to get an appearance similar to wood or laminate. Keep in mind that adding any kind of vinyl flooring requires a smooth base. So, this means that you will have to remove any existing flooring before installing your new vinyl flooring.
As I mentioned before, vinyl flooring is becoming increasingly popular these days. People use it in various types of properties – from house rooms to grocery stores and sports facilities. If you are looking to add it to your home, the best place to use it would be the kitchen and bathroom where it is moister. However, you can also add it is a living room, bedroom, or dining room. Because of the new available designs, vinyl has become a very affordable option that would make any room better!
Vinyl flooring is also becoming an extremely popular flooring variant in Australia. According to Architecture & Design, Australians use vinyl planks, tiles, and sheets quite a lot. Some of the popular styles also include MiPlank – specially designed for Australian homes, Korlok planks, Pryzm, and mFLOR.
Vinyl Plank Flooring
Vinyl plank flooring is just another name for vinyl flooring in the form of long, narrow strips. It is not that different from the other types of vinyl flooring in this sense. However, there is some difference when it comes to the structure of it. The vinyl planks have four layers:
- The top layer is made of aluminium oxide and it is supposed to prevent scratching.
- The second layer is clear and firm. With this layer, the flooring is protected from tearing.
- The third layer gives the vinyl a look similar to wood or stone. It is almost too difficult to differentiate between this type of flooring and regular wood or stone flooring.
- The fourth layer is made of rigid vinyl and gives the thickness of the planks.
People use this type of vinyl flooring because it is fairly cheap, low maintenance, long-lasting, and very comfortable, especially when compared to both engineered flooring or timber flooring. Some of the popular colour options for this type of flooring include blonde brilliance, honey hues, grey goods, and whitewashed woods. As for the designs, we already mentioned the vinyl planks that look like wood or stone. There is no going wrong with the vinyl plank flooring as it has far more advantages than disadvantages.
Vinyl Floor Tiles
Vinyl floor tiles are a very interesting option for a bathroom, kitchen, hallway, and almost any other room in the house. Some of the reasons why people use this type of tiles are because they are very quickly and easily installed, they are cheap, long-lasting, easily removed, or even replaced if damaged. But before you commit to this type of tiles, you need to know about their disadvantages as well – for one, the glue used during the installation process can be toxic. Then, another disadvantage is that they are not recyclable, water can get through their edges, and they need a very smooth surface for installation.
When it comes to the design, the tiles are made from PVC and other components that give the tiles colour, flexibility, and hardness as well. Some of the new types of vinyl tiles include the natural stone look, which is a very interesting option for bathrooms and kitchen floors. The great thing about this type of tiles is that they keep their colour and shine for years after installation, so your rooms will look fresh for years after adding the vinyl tiles.
Vinyl Sheet Flooring
Vinyl sheet flooring is a durable, multi-layer flooring option. Unlike vinyl plank flooring, this type of flooring can be used in high traffic places like stores, sports facilities, and even health facilities. With many new and modern looks, vinyl sheets are becoming increasingly popular all over the world but especially in Australia.
This type of material contains a fibreglass layer that helps keep the sheets flat at all times. It also allows the sheets to be easily installed without the use of any toxic glues. Breakthroughs in the technology mean vinyl sheet flooring is relatively affordable to add to your existing home. Some of the newer vinyl sheets are similar to the vinyl planks since they have a layer and topcoat to prevent scratches. There are also different types of vinyl sheets depending on the thickness. I will give you a short guide that will help you choose the best sheet for your needs:
- 2mm to 4mm – most suitable for laundry rooms and bedrooms.
- 4mm to 6mm – most suitable for kitchens and living rooms.
- 6mm to 8mm – most suitable for commercial use.
Keep in mind that thicker vinyl sheets are not more durable than regular sheets. The difference in durability is made by the wear thickness, meaning the layer of the sheet that protects it from damage. A thicker wear layer means extra durability, while a thinner wear layer gives more foot comfort.
How To Lay Vinyl Flooring
The installation process for vinyl flooring is pretty easy. Here’s a step by step guide that explains how to properly install vinyl flooring:
- Remove all baseboards.
- Prep the subfloor by cleaning it, drying it, and making sure that it is completely smooth.
- Plan the floor and calculate the dimensions of the vinyl plank, sheet, or tile.
- Score the first row of planks and arrange the first row of planks.
- Arrange the second row of flooring and onwards.
- Insert the tongue of a piece into the previous row so that the pieces click together.
- Make sure that the flooring pieces are staggered by 6 inches and have an expansion gap.
- Bend the planks under door jambs.
- Follow the same steps for peel-and-stick vinyl planks as well as floating planks.
- Put the finishing touches.
For more information on how to properly install your vinyl flooring, click here for further information.
Vinyl Flooring Installation Costs
If you are from Australia and looking to have vinyl flooring installed in your house or shop, you can do so at a very reasonable price. According to Service Seeking, the average cost for vinyl flooring installation is between $26 and $35 per square meter. However, the numbers can vary between different parts of the country.
Bear in mind that there could be some necessary extras during the process of installation of the flooring. The floors are sold by a square metre, as opposed to being sold by a linear metre. This means that the costs could rise. Some of the mentioned extras include:
- Underlayment – adding some padding before the installation of the vinyl planks, sheets, or tiles.
- Vapour Barrier – a must for humid areas.
- Trims – These are great to cover the edges of the flooring and can add a unique style to the room
These prices could vary between different areas and different contractors and companies.
Advantages of Vinyl Flooring
So, why is it that you should choose vinyl flooring instead of any other type of flooring? Well, there are so many advantages to this type of flooring. Here are some of them:
- It is very affordable.
- You can install it yourself or find someone to install it for a reasonable price.
- There is a variety of colours and designs to choose from.
- It has a comfortable feel to the feet.
- It is eco-friendly.
- It can last for a very long time.
- It is low maintenance and you can clean it easily.
Disadvantages of Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl flooring does not have many disadvantages, but there are some things that you should consider before committing to vinyl flooring.
- Vinyl flooring requires a very specific base layer. If you do not have time to prepare the base, then consider having someone do it for you or move to another type of material.
- Do not expose the vinyl flooring to direct sunlight because that might cause discolouration. Consider adding curtains to your room to prevent damaging the flooring.
To learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of vinyl flooring, as well as other information on this type of flooring, click here for more info.